'Walking Dead's' Norman Reedus to Debut Photography Book (Exclusive Photos)

The actor behind Daryl Dixon has collected scores of photos he's taken from all over the world in the past 15 years and will debut the collection in October.

The Walking Dead breakout star Norman Reedus is showing fans of the undead a glimpse into his artistic mind.
The actor behind Daryl Dixon in October will debut The Sun's Coming Up … Like a Big Bald Head, a hardcover book featuring photos from his world travels over the past 15 years.
Available on Oct. 31 at a price of $75 (preorder now for $60), the 132-page photography collection will see Reedus turn from the role of the observed to the observer. The limited edition book includes photos from a maximum security prison in Moscow and various other places Reedus has traveled during his career. (Some of the proceeds will go to charity, likely to the Fallen Heroes program for police in Georgia, where The Walking Dead is filmed, and others to charities supporting Boston, where he started his career.)
"It’s a really nice hardcover book and it’s very personal," Reedus tells The Hollywood Reporter, noting that it includes forwards from Walking Dead co-star Andrew Lincoln, Blondie's Debbie Harry and other famous friends he admires.
"[The photos are] through my eyes, like my interpretation of what my surroundings were at certain times -- so some of the photos are from a John Carpenter film that I worked on and he builds these insane worlds and crazy characters and I sort of kidnapped a few of those people and took them on a little journey of my own," Reedus notes. "One in particular I sort of destroyed a trailer -- I covered it in blood and I don’t think they were very happy about that! But the photos are different things that I saw and kind of put my own little personal tweak on them."
Reedus, who says he often carries a camera with him and has gone through several different formats and brands, notes that the book doesn't really have a specific theme but rather a philosophy of making "disturbing images beautiful."
"I had an art show in New York not too long ago in Times Square where I had 30 photos of road kill," the filmmaker, cinematographer and artist says. "They wanted me to do my time in Georgia and they wanted behind-the-scenes footage of The Walking Dead, which I can't do. I ended up taking all these glamour shots of road kill and what I saw every day. I try to see things in a different light. So that's sort of the theme without there being a specific theme."
Despite event organizers not being too thrilled with the content of the showing, Reedus recalls every one of the 30 images on display sold to charity.
Some of those images, he says, are included in the published collection -- as well as a few Easter eggs for fans of AMC's The Walking Dead.
"It's a very tight ship on that set," says Reedus, noting with a laugh that he takes "tons" of photos on the set -- much to the chagrin of his co-stars. "For a billion different reasons, we don't like to give away spoilers, but there might be a little hint of something there."
As for the title of the collection -- which mirrors that of his Big Bald Head production company -- Reedus says it comes from Laurie Anderson's "Sharkey's Day" song that he heard at a concert his mother took him to at a young age.
"She liked the photos and agreed to let us use the title," Reedus says. "It was awesome because I'm a huge fan of hers. It’s just something that always stuck in my head as a kid. It's just such a dynamic performance that I just always remembered it."

As for the upcoming fourth season of The Walking Dead, Reedus -- who is currently on hiatus after filming the midseason finale -- says the first half of the season features the best scripts he's seen yet on the series.  
"I didn't think we could go another level. We just jumped like three more levels this season -- so I will say people are going to be blown away by this season," he says.
The Sun's Coming Up … Like a Big Bald Head will be released Oct. 31. Click here to preorder the book. Season four of The Walking Dead premieres Sunday, Oct. 13. Check out a few photos from Reedus' book below.
"Babushka woman in countryside"
"Bloody girl on couch"
"Russian prisoners in kitchen with cat"
"Undecided Russian soldier"
"Willowy being with hand"
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment